That said, I am fascinated with the book already. Her writing is simply beautiful. I can't read the story quickly because I have to savor her talent, her word choices, her descriptiveness. I had to stop and ponder the following description which the character described as "immense betrayal" and I relate to as "disillusionment."
The great oak tree had stood on a hill over the Hudson for hundreds of years, and he thought it would always stand there. Its roots clutched the hill like a fist with fingers sunk into the soil, and he thought that if a giant were to seize it by the top, he would not be able to uproot it, but would swing the hill and the whole of the earth with it, like a ball at the end of a string. He felt safe in the oak tree's presence; it was a thing that nothing could change or threaten; it was his greatest symbol of strength.Haven't we all experienced this? At times we put our faith, our trust, our hope in the wrong thing (or person). But when it fails (as it inevitably will if it's not the Lord Himself) we feel betrayed or disillusioned. I am reminded that we can't see as the Lord sees. Something that may look like a "symbol of strength" might actually have a heart rotted away, completely absent of the Living Power, leaving an empty shell vulnerable to the storms of life. This reminds me to be thankful for the trials of life which test us, prove us, and ultimately strengthen us as we yield to the Lord's pruning.
One night, lightning struck the oak tree. Eddie saw it the next morning. It lay broken in half, and he looked into its trunk as into the mouth of a black tunnel. The trunk was only an empty shell; its heart had rotted away long ago; there was nothing inside--just a thin gray dust that was being dispersed by the whim of the faintest wind. The living power had gone, and the shape it left had not been able to stand without it. (5)

Hmmmm. I'll be very curious to hear what you think when you've finished. I've never read it, mostly because I've only ever had it recommended by people I really didn't like. And come to think of it, isn't that a terrible reason to avoid a book?
ReplyDeleteHere's what I think, a mere 126 pages in: will you please (please, please) go get a copy and read along with us? There's so much in it and I'm simply not smart enough to discern it all. :)
DeleteOh, your last sentence, Shonya. It speaks volumes to me.
ReplyDeleteBah, don't be silly, of course you're smart enough! Yes, her writing, I love the way she writes. And I LOVE the oak tree quote. Nice post, and I'm so excited that you're reading this! :) It is lengthy, and that made me hesitate too, not knowing whether I wanted to invest the time, but I really did feel it was worthwhile overall.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your vote of confidence, Amber! I look forward to reading your posts/insights on it too.
DeleteHa, if I ever write anything. ;)
Delete"This reminds me to be thankful for the trials of life which test us, prove us, and ultimately strengthen us as we yield to the Lord's pruning."
ReplyDeleteOH OH OH but it is SO HARD to be thankful for those trials. SO HARD. I needed to read just that one sentence this evening . . .
In the moment--oh yes, I'm with you! I'm hoping one of these days I'll learn to keep the above perspective in the midst of a trial rather than after.
DeleteAnd may I ask--have you ever read this book? It is fascinating, captivating, truly a worthwhile read. Would love to have you read along and discuss. . . :D
Thank you for that quote SH! as u know me well,... i will not make the time to read it :) but i pray the Lord makes it very clear to me when I start to put my faith in anything other than Him! Search me oh, Lord and see if there be any wicked way in me.
ReplyDeletekr