Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Survival Mode

This has been the most difficult school year I've faced yet.  As August approached, I knew it would be a challenging year because homeschooling with a one-year-old always provides opportunities to practice patience and perseverance. (Like when you leave a pie on the table and he gets up from nap and no one realizes he is up and he eats the top off the pie.)  One-year-olds are notoriously busy, need lots of training, provide multiple distractions, get sick, and change their own schedule (going from two daily naps to one) which affects everyone else's routine.  Of course, they are also super cute, fun, learn something new every day, only stay one for one year, and teach everyone tolerance and appreciation--so it works out.


But I didn't realize what all the year would hold.

The year brought more sickness than I had ever experienced as I got hit with flu, strep throat, ear infection, canker sores, and a doozy of a cold.  It's one thing for the kiddos to get sick, but quite another for mama to take a turn.  My husband resigned from his longterm job, worked another that required him to be away from us for several weeks at a time, participated in several interviews, and accepted one job only to be offered another which finally led to us moving.  We moved in the middle of the school year--and there's no need to expand on all the time, distraction, and stress that had on our homeschool.

We left our friends and our support group, something I didn't realize how difficult it would be until we did it.  I had taken for granted having people who knew me, who "got" me, and could provide encouragement when it was needed without having to be asked.  I had taken for granted the classes the kids had and the network of friends and fellow homeschoolers we could turn to for a ride or sharing materials or even just taking an afternoon off to go to the park or get together at someone's house (believe it or not, 10-15 kids playing together for an afternoon provides mothers with a break!).

For the first time in many years, I haven't had a daily (MOTH) schedule.  I hope to never have a year without a schedule again.  Each morning we get up and have to figure out what the day will look like rather than relying on that beautiful schedule that just tells everyone what to do.  It's survival mode for sure as we plug along, repeatedly digging in boxes to find a notebook or a magnifying glass or the next classic for our literature studies.  I didn't take a break once we moved--we moved in on Saturday and dove right back into school on Monday because I didn't want to get too far behind.

In the middle of Algebra, Geometry, Biology, writing essays, reading great literary classics, etc., etc. I was searching for piano teachers, violin teachers, new homeschool groups and classes, sports opportunities and trying to unpack essentials--not to mention teaching the younger children both academic lessons and character training.
I have simply "kept on keepin' on" to get through the year, and this end of the year has been especially rough (is someone moving the finish line farther and farther away or what??).  But the last couple weeks I was blessed to come across the book A Mom Just Like You at the library (which I think they should just give to me since there are "no homeschoolers at the library" chuckle).

I meant for this post to be a review of this great book by Vicki Farris (wife of HSLDA's Mike Farris and homeschooling mother of ten), but this post has gotten awfully long as I reflected (whined?), so I will extend it tomorrow.  Suffice it to say, I found her book very uplifting and just the sweet words of encouragement I need to continue on through these last few weeks.  She knows what it's like, she's been through easier years and challenging years, and she's incredibly real and transparent.  She doesn't "kick me when I'm down", she points me up.

And that's just what I needed.

"Not by might nor by power, but by my spirit," says the Lord of hosts. (Zechariah 4:6)

8 comments:

  1. Oofta! Its no wonder why you have been sick so much. Stress does crazy things to our body! Wish I knew how to help you out. I think we all are excited for summer break! Some lazy days sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me cry...after just the first paragraph. I have felt the same way (last year with our foster daughter and) this year with our JoJo. I felt completely inept because so many people homeschool and have little ones but no one ever seems to say out loud "This is hard." I felt like I must have been doing something wrong (especially as we too have transitioned way from the morning nap!). Thank you for speaking up. I probably need to do the same. :)

    But then you go and keep my crying through the rest of your "whine". (BTW I never once viewed it as a whine. You needed to type those words to SEE what you have been up against instead of just FEEL it. It wasn't a whine because it was the truth and you, as usual, handled it graciously!).

    It has been a difficult year and yet you continue to be transparent in your need for the Savior. God has taken you down this stressful path for so many reasons - and us bloggers might be one of them. (So sorry if it is my fault. I promise to try and learn faster! LOL)

    Blessings to you and your family. (and thanks for yet ANOTHER book to read!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AND:
    That is the cutest pie stealer in the world!

    But I have to say this to you...when in the world did you find time to bake a pie!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =D Lest you get too impressed, the pie was baked by an older lady (children all raised) from our church. She heard my hubby likes rhubarb pie, so she made him one. It was a huge hit (with more than just Tyrell).

      Thank you for your encouraging words, Laura. I think you are right--it was rather cathartic for me to put it all in one place to *see* exactly why I'm feeling so overwhelmed and struggling to cheerfully finish the year. I'm also feeling encouraged that next year surely HAS to be easier! :)

      Delete
  4. So you've gone through a job change, moved, parent five children, homeschool... along with everything else? I'd get sick, too. It may be completely and totally selfish of me, but I appreciate other mamas admitting they don't always have everything together all the time- makes me feel less inept. I love your transparency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy. I don't think it's selfish of you to appreciate transparency. I think it's ridiculous for us to try to maintain a facade. It doesn't help us and it doesn't help anyone else. Ridiculous, I say! :)

      Delete
  5. This has definitely been an intense season of change for you and your family. Change can be terribly good and horrifically difficult at the same time! I'm glad you found the encouragement in the book -- and I pray you'll find people local who "get you" - because that's just so very valuable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. When you comment, you're speaking my love language!