Some people use a change in seasons for deep cleaning, others are inspired to set reading goals. You aren't likely to find a post entitled "Spring Cleaning" on this blog, so I guess you'll have to settle for "Spring Reading." I'm joining in on Katrina's Spring reading challenge for March 20 through June 20, much like the one she hosted last fall. It helps me get organized and complete books rather than just reading six or seven books simultaneously but never finishing one (at least I hope that's how it will work). I'm especially excited that this challenge coincides with our spring break from school!
Currently Reading
- Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyon. This is part of Carrie's Book Club challenge, and I'm almost finished with Christian's journey and will soon begin that of his wife and children. I had a hard time getting into it this time, but have been enjoying it the last couple days.
- Leadership and Crisis by Bobby Jindal (Governor of Louisiana). I've just barely started this one, but it's very interesting so far and easy to read. I'm intrigued by him. . .
- Life at the Bottom: The Worldview That Makes the Underclass by Theodore Dalrymple. Outstanding book so far, I'm about halfway through. Sure would love to chat this out with someone in some comfy chairs with a Pepsi and some chocolate!
- The April "assignment" is anything by PG Wodehouse. I've never read any of his work, and I am very excited to meet this English author. I sat on the floor in my favorite new bookstore last week and skimmed through a couple titles. I think I'm going to try Uncle Dynamite and some of the Jeeves books and am looking forward to these light and humorous reads. I love that British wit--CS Lewis, The Strictest School series, and even Life at the Bottom make me savor word choices.
- The May assignment is Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. I love this book and would hate to guess how many times I've read it. I look forward to visiting this old friend.
- The June assignment is A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter, which I've never read and know nothing about.
- Setting the Records Straight by Lee Binz to help me with Briana's transcript (gasp! How are we to this point of life already?!)
- The Deadliest Monster by J.F. Baldwin is a comparison of the worldviews in Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde which we've been reading in our literature class.
- Know Why You Believe by Paul Little
- Assumptions That Affect Our Lives by Christian Overman
- The Bible--I am finished with the Old Testament and comfortably into the gospel accounts with this chronological reading. I am on track to finish the 180-day challenge on April 28.
- James--I am studying the book of James using Beth Moore's study guide and *loving* it even as it dances all over my toes. She suggests both writing out the book by hand (which I'm doing) and memorizing it (which I. . .started. . .but am intimidated. . .we'll see. . .)
- The Best of A.W. Tozer --this book has been in my basket for months and I've never started it. Maybe I'll get to it this time.
- The Measure of a Man by Sidney Poitier. I picked this up at a thrift store and it looks very interesting. I will get to it someday. . .
- Monday Morning Faith by Lori Copeland. A quick, easy read, Christian fiction. I've enjoyed some of her books before.
- Covenant Child by Terri Blackstock. Another easy Christian fiction read for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- Celebrity in Death by JD Robb. If I hadn't moved, I'm sure I would have read this by now as my dear friend and librarian knows my affinity for main characters Eve Dallas and Rourke. She would have called me as soon as it came in, knowing I would return it in 48 hours (if not 24!) for the next patron. As it is, I'm on hold at my current library. Sniff
DISCLAIMER: I reserve the right to add to and remove books from this list. This list in no way prohibits my reading of a new book that crosses my path or is recommended by a friend, nor does it bind me to read a book I don't like, don't agree with, or don't have time for. : )



I have two copies of "A Girl of the Limberlost," just in case I ever lose one. That's how much I love that book. I can't wait to hear what you think of it.
ReplyDeleteAnd a confession: I, too, love Eve and Roarke. Guilty, guilty, guilty.
It makes me happy that you also love Eve and Roarke. And I'm now looking forward to "A Girl of the Limberlost"--thanks for sharing your recommendation so I can anticipate a good read!
DeleteWow, quite a list! I love the idea of writing out the book of James by hand. And good for you for staying with the reading plan. I've never accomplished that. Happy spring reading.
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing really hard out loud. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI did too at the Spring cleaning part! :)
DeleteHumph! You'll never quite understand me, will ya Marc?! lol
DeleteLots of good stuff here, but I have to say that I am also eagerly awaiting my turn at Celebrity in Death. Happy Reading!!
ReplyDeletewoo-hoo! Looks like I'm in good company with my guilty indulgence! :)
DeleteThat Dalrymple book looks fascinating, if a little depressing. But it would make for good coffee conversation, Shonya! Covenant Child is a good book, nice easy read. I enjoyed it.
ReplyDeleteI plan to post a review on a new kids' book I can just see a boy reading! Maybe this week sometime. (Love the cute hairstyle below...!)
Oh Laura, that would be so much fun to discuss with you! It really is a great and thought-provoking book and his British wit keeps it from being too depressing. :) Looking forward to the review of the book so I can share it with my boys.
DeleteLove the disclaimer. And honestly, I probably wouldn't read a post about spring cleaning--spring reading is much more interesting! Sounds like an interesting list!
ReplyDeleteGreat list! I just finished Beth Moore's James study. My favorite, thus far. I didn't memorize the book of James, however. My brain isn't up to that task just yet after the last 14 months. :-/ Happy Reading!
ReplyDeleteWow, what great reading goals you have. The Jeeves books are really fun. I have enjoyed listening to the audio versions from the library, as well. It's fun to hear the accents. I've also read the Sidney Poitier book and enjoyed it. That's interesting that Beth Moore suggested writing out the book of James by hand. I read from another author the recommendation to slow down and really meditate on the Bible by writing it out as part of your devotions time, so I started on Mark last year. Got only about halfway, though ;o . Thanks for the reminder. I may have to pull that journal out soon and finish it up. Happy reading!
ReplyDelete